The home at 477 Delaware was the last of the thirteen luxury row houses built from 1893-1895. These four-story houses were unique in Buffalo. Although each house in the row is the work of various architects and of different designs, they give an overall appearance of unified composition because of similarities in height, width, and construction materials.
Delaware Ave, in the early 19th century, was the principal residential street in Buffalo and consisted of many freestanding mansions and clubs in addition to these row houses. The site chosen for these homes was referred to as “the Midway “ since it was located halfway between Niagara Square (city center) and Forest Lawn Cemetery.
The Birge-Horton House, an outstanding example of a Georgian Revival row house, was designed by preeminent Buffalo architects E. B. Green and W. S. Wicks for Henry and Fanny Birge. Mr. Birge was a partner in the Birge Wallpaper Co. The Birge-Horton House is four stories high, three bays wide, and constructed of brick with stone trim. On the exterior, each floor of the home is distinguished by various architectural features. Superior craftsmanship is evident throughout the building. The interior design is exquisite. A grand staircase rising four stories, six marble fireplaces, leaded lay lights, and leaded windows are just a few of its beautiful features. Today, it is the only home in the row that remains as it was built so long ago.
In 1906, Katharine Pratt Horton took up residence, renting the property until 1920 when she purchased the house from Fanny Birge. It remained her residence until her death in 1931. At that time, the Buffalo Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution inherited the home. Since then our chapter has maintained the house much the way it was when Mrs. Horton lived in it. In 2004, the house was placed on the New York State Registry for Historic Buildings and the National Register of Historic Places.
. . . . .
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.